INTERNATIONAL “GIOACHINO ROSSINI” COMPETITION FOR YOUNG CONDUCTORS
FIRST EDITION year 2022
- The “Filarmonica Gioachino Rossini” organizes the 1° International “Gioachino Rossini” Competition for Young Conductors, with the collaboration of the Municipality of Pesaro, the Rossini Opera Festival, and the “Carlo Felice” Theatre of Genoa.
- The Competition will take place from 20th to 23rd September 2022 at the Rossini Theatre in Pesaro. Admission is reserved to Italian and foreign conductors younger than 36 years by 30th May 2022.
- The application must reach the Orchestra Filarmonica Gioachino Rossini by 30th May 2022, by mail or certified email (see more details in the application form)
- The following documents must be attached to the application:
- completed and signed form, attached to the Regulations and downloadable from www.fgr-orchestra.com
- copy of Passport or ID
- a short CV highlighting the experience as conductor
- a video of rehearsal or concert with frontal view of the candidate, of any piece and any performing ensemble, maximum duration 10 min
- passport-size photo
- € 35,00 application fee (not refundable) to be paid by bank transfer or postal money order to Filarmonica Gioachino Rossini srl (see details in the application form that you can find at this link http://www.fgr-orchestra.com/concorso-direttori/application-form.pdf)
- The Selection Board will choose 24 candidates and 10 reserves (to be contacted in case of a candidate’s withdrawal). The live rehearsals and the final concert will take place at the Rossini Theatre in Pesaro from 20th to 23rd September 2022. By July 1st, 2022 the list of the admitted 24 candidates and 10 reserves will be published on the website of Filarmonica www.fgr-orchestra.com and communicated by mail. The selected candidates will have to pay € 350,00 participation fee and send the receipt to the organization by July 10th, 2022. Failure to pay the participation fee by that date will result in the exclusion from the competition and admittance of the first reserve. The replacements will be communicated by July 15th, 2022.
- All candidates will have to obtain accreditation from the Competition office on the appointed day and time, presenting ID/passport. All the live activities will be carried out with full respect of the current anti-covid regulation.
- Candidates will appear in alphabetical order, starting from the letter randomly selected before them (latecomers will be excluded from the Competition). Changes of rehearsal order will be allowed on the grounds of written motivations (health or family problems, force majeure), if compatible with the calendar prepared by the organization
- Any candidate not complying with the Regulation will lose the right to participate to the Competition
- The Selection Board of the competition will be composed by outstanding musicians, orchestra directors, superintendents and music critics. The list of the components of the Selection Board will be published by March 31st, 2022 on the website of Filarmonica Gioachino Rossini. The members of the board who have family relationships or have had teaching relationships with a candidate in the past two years will abstain from expressing their assessment about him/her since the selection of candidates in the preliminary phase. In such a case, the right to assess will pass to one of the first parts of the orchestra.
- At the end of each day the members of the Selection Board will express their assessment with grades from 1 to 10, they will create the ranking list and communicate the names off the candidates admitted to the following phase.
- The decisions of the Selection Board are final and unappealable.
- The schedule of the Competition will be the following:
- In the preliminary phase the Selection Board will choose on the basis of the material sent (CV and video as in p. 4), the 24 candidates to participate to the first live rehearsal with the Orchestra according to p.5. This phase will end on 15th July 2022.
- 20th September – rehearsal with orchestra – Filarmonica Gioachino Rossini
- The 24 candidates will have 12’ each to rehearse and perform in part or all (as indicated by the Selection Board) the following pieces:
- L. van Beethoven, Symphony n. 5 in Do min, op. 67 – First Movement
- G. Rossini, Ouvertures from “Il barbiere di Siviglia” and “Tancredi”
- Twelve candidates will be admitted to the following phase
- 21st September – rehearsal with orchestra – Filarmonica Gioachino Rossini The twelve candidates will have 25’ each to rehearse and perform in part or all (as indicated by the Selection Board) the following pieces:
- L. van Beethoven, Symphony n. 5 in Do min, op. 67 – Third Movement
- G. Rossini, Ouvertures from “La Cenerentola” and “Il signor Bruschino”
- Eight candidates will be admitted to the following phase
- 22nd September – rehearsal with orchestra – Filarmonica Gioachino Rossini The eight candidates will have 40’ each to rehearse and perform in part or all (as indicated by the Selection Board) the following pieces:
- G. Rossini, Ouverture from “Il barbiere di Siviglia”
- G. Rossini, Ouverture from “Tancredi”
- G. Rossini, Ouverture from “La Cenerentola
- G. Rossini, Ouverture from “Il signor Bruschino”
- G. Rossini, Sofia’s Aria “Ah donate il caro sposo” from “Il Signor Bruschino”
- G. Rossini, Figaro’s Aria “Largo al factotum” from “Il barbiere di Siviglia”
- G. Rossini, Don Ramiro’s Aria “Di ritrovarla io giuro”, from “La Cenerentola”
- G. Rossini, Tancredi’s Aria “Di tanti palpiti”, from “Tancredi”
- Four candidates will be admitted to the final day. The Selection Board will assign to each of them an Overture and an Aria, chosen from the pieces given above.
- 23rd September – rehearsal and concert with orchestra –Filarmonica Gioachino Rossini The four candidates will have 40’ each to rehearse the Ouverture and the Aria assigned by the Selection Board at the end of the third day in a session to be held in the morning. The concert will be conducted by all the four finalists who will perform the two pieces assigned. At the end of the Concert the winner of the Competition will be appointed and the prizes awarded.
- The winner of the International “Gioachino Rossini” Competition will receive € *2.500,00 and contracts for musical productions with the following music institutions: Rossini Opera Festival, Carlo Felice Theatre, Genoa, Filarmonica Gioachino Rossini, as well as a professional video with backstage, concert and the prize-awarding ceremony.
- The second place finisher will receive € 1.500,00 and a professional video with backstage, concert and the prize-awarding ceremony.
- The third place finisher will receive € 500,00 and a professional video with backstage, concert and the prize-awarding ceremony.
- The fourth place finisher will receive a professional video with backstage, concert and the prize-awarding ceremony.
The prizes might be “not-awarded” or awarded ex-equo.
No ex-equo will be awarded for the winner.
The application and participation fees will not be refunded.
The Court of Pesaro will have jurisdiction over any disputes relating to the above and the Italian text will apply.